Pre-Award General Information
The Office of Sponsored Programs Pre-Award Processing Department is available to assist faculty and staff with the development and delivery of quality grant proposals to external funding agencies. Whether working with electronic or hard copy submissions, the Pre-Award staff can assist with the following:
- Provide information on funding opportunities for general and specific areas of interest.
- Locate and download specific agency guidelines and forms.
- Review proposals for compliance with all applicable university, state and federal regulations.
- Review incoming proposals for form and formatting.
- Review budgets to ensure that salary and wage amounts, fringe benefits, cost share, travel, Facility & Administrative Rates, and all other costs are applied correctly.
- Determine submission dates or deadline dates to ensure that proposals are submitted to the sponsor by the required time frame.
- Provide budget approval and institutional authorizing signatures.
- Submit all electronic proposals to the sponsor through the appropriate electronic system (such as grants.gov, FastLane or ProposalCENTRAL).
Electronic Blue Sheet
The offices of Sponsored Programs and Information Technology (OIT) unveiled the Electronic Blue Sheet (EBS) system in March 2010 to serve as a paperless routing and approval process for external funding proposal submissions. OSP continued to accept hard copies of the Application Approval Sheet (“Blue Sheet”) until May 2011, but is now requiring that all proposals be submitted through the EBS system at https://ebs.wvu.edu/. OSP requests that all proposals be submitted in complete and final form through EBS at least FIVE WORKING DAYS PRIOR to an agency deadline.
Please note: Pre-proposals and/or “white papers” do not require OSP review and endorsement unless budgetary information is provided and/or institutional certifications/assurances are required.
Because the actual proposal development process can take days, weeks, and even months, we recommend that the PI contact the OSP very early in the proposal process, so the Pre-Award staff can help facilitate the overall process.
Please browse the links below for more useful information to help you with the proposal process. If you would like assistance with an upcoming proposal or if you have any questions about the proposal review and submission process, you can contact the Pre-Award staff by calling 304-293-3998.