The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) urges the University’s research community to go to the following link https://nsf.gov/awards/managing/rtc.jsp to familiarize yourself with the new Research Terms and Conditions that will be referenced in award documents. The above website is a good one to bookmark. Please let OSP know if you have questions regarding the new Research Terms and Conditions and their application.
Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards – 2-CFR-200 (Uniform Guidance) replaced several OMB Circulars (A-21, A-110, etc.) governing recipient responsibilities related to the management of Federal awards in December, 2014. The OMB Circulars were supplemented by a standard set of Research Terms and Conditions (RTC) adopted, with modifications, by most Federal grant-making agencies. Likewise, Uniform Guidance requires RTCs that apply to the new Uniform Guidance regulations. These standard RTCs can be found at Awards Terms and Conditions on the National Science Foundation (NSF) website. The NSF maintains RTC information on its website; the regulations apply to the grant-making actions of the following agencies who either have or soon will adopt the RTCs, some in modified form:
- U. S. Department of Commerce/National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- National Institute of Standards and Technology;
- U.S. Department of Energy;
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency;
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration;
- National Science Foundation;
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services/National Institutes of Health;
- U.S. Department of Agriculture/National Institute of Food and Agriculture;
- U.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Aviation Administration; and the
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
While the Uniform Guidance outlines provisions that are specific to research, the RTCs:
- Incorporate the entire Uniform Guidance by reference, clarifying, or supplementing select provisions where appropriate and consistent with government-wide research policy.
- Incorporate the latest version of the Frequently Asked Questions for the Office of Management and Budget's Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards at 2 CFR 200 (located at https://cfo.gov/cofar-resources).
- Apply to an award when included as part of the award or when incorporated in the award by reference. Use of the RTCs is envisioned as a streamlined approach that supports the implementation of the Uniform Guidance by providing clarification, supplementary guidance, and, where appropriate, selected options, while meeting the spirit and intent of a uniform implementation.